Going to Uncle Sam for higher studies can be easier and far more efficient if you have an educational services provider like Miracle Learning Solutions to assist you! We can help you avail the best/maximum scholarships and/or financial aid that you’re eligible for, find out the best University that can fulfill your career aspirations, and advise you on every possibility like joining a community college first and later transferring to a College/University (the “2+2” years combo) that can save you thousands of dollars.
High-level Steps of the Admission Process:
- Choose the University/College/Institute
(Finding out the scholarships/financial aid available, is a part of this step)
- Apply for admission & scholarships/financial aid
- Apply for Student Visa
- Travel to US, and join the course
Let’s check each step a little closer:
Finding out the best University/College/Institute for you:
The choices for higher education in US is humongous! For example, there are over 1,000 universities in the US that offer graduate degrees. You’ll need lots of time to explore them sufficiently.
After making the firm decision on the course that you would pursue, which must be based on the psychometric analysis and other assessments/tests that would have exposed the best career path suitable to your personality, you start exploring the options.
You may go through this phase yourself, taking ample time. Or, you can enroll with Miracle Learning Solutions for proper guidance, which will save you time. The more time you spend in this phase, the better.
Every University/College has its own rules for scholarship/financial aid, which you must check before selecting it for your higher studies. Ensure you interact with the University/College officials to clearly verify what you are eligible for, to avoid last-minute surprises and disappointment. If funding is not an issue for you, you can boldly choose the best institute no matter what it offers as scholarship/financial aid.
The accreditation and standing of the University/College with the US government must also be verified in this phase. Ensure it is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). It must also have regional and/or national accreditation. You may use the following websites to verify these:
Your selection must be based on:
- Academic merit & placement of the University, and its accreditation
- Your financial position
- The scholarship and/or financial aid that the institute offers
- Locality that decides the cost of living and other social factors/elements
- Whether you have other options like Community College – University combination (the “2+2” years combo)
- (Personal elements like friends & relatives in the US)
You must take up this phase at least 12 months prior to the beginning of the academic year that you wish to enroll for, which can give you close to one month’s time for selecting the University/College. Please refer to the graphical representation on Admission Process Timeline, given later in this blog. Miracle Learning Solutions recommends you begin this phase 18 months or earlier, so that you’ll get sufficient time for all phases.
The Admission Application Process:
The Admission process varies with each University/College.
The last date to submit the Application can be any time between November and January for students who wish to begin courses the following September. You must stay vigilant to readily know any variation to this vital deadline for your admission year.
The key requirement is to finalize the University/College as early as possible, so that you can start working on the admission process well in time. The set of documents that they need (for both admission and scholarships/financial aid), the admission tests that you may have to take (like TOEFL, SAT), and any other formalities that may add from time to time – the earlier you are aware of these, the better.
Please understand that the “Application Submitting Process” here is not an easy task. Students will need to furnish various documents, collect recommendations, submit original work to prove their mettle (like writing essays), route the results of required standard examinations, and undertake other activities as the institute demands, which can alter every year.
- Please know that the Admission Application package must contain the application & supporting documents to avail scholarships and/or financial aid that you are eligible for.
- Never hurry up through this phase. Take adequate time.
- It’s highly recommended that you go through an educational services provider like Miracle Learning Solutions in this phase, to avoid last-minute rejections.
You must take up this phase at least 11 months prior to the beginning of the academic year that you wish to enroll for, which can give you a minimum of one month’s time for preparing the application package. If you follow what Miracle Learning Solutions recommends for the first phase (18 months or more), you’ll get enough time to complete this phase in the most satisfying manner.
Apply for Student Visa:
This phase begins when the University/College/Institute, which is SEVP-certified (Student and Exchange Visitor Program), accepts your Admission Application, and issues the I-20 and DS-2019 forms to you.
US government offers three student visa types – F, J & M.
F Student Visa: for study at an accredited U.S. college or university, or to study English at an English language institute.
J Exchange Visa: for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study.
M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational study or training in the US.
Based on where you belong in the F, J & M Visa categories, you’ll submit the Application.
Miracle Learning Solutions can help you secure the required Visa in a hassle-free manner. Please be reminded that rejections in this phase, which is not uncommon, can be viewed seriously, and it may even end your Study-in-US dreams!
You may use the following websites to know more about the Visa application procedure:
- US Department of State – Consular Affairs (Student Visas)
- US Department of State – U.S. Embassies and Consulates
- US Department of Homeland Security – Study in the States
Travel to US, and join the course:
Please know that you are not allowed to enter the United Stated more than 30 days prior to the start of your I-20 or DS-2019. Ensure you have the necessary documents to be presented before the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers upon your arrival in US.
Please check with your University/College about the documents that you have to carry, and attend the pre-departure orientation programs that they may conduct, well before your departure to US.
The Ideal Sequence that Miracle Learning Solutions (MLS) envisages for you:
- You decide you want to study in the US during your high-school.
- You enroll for the “Study Abroad Program” with MLS some time between your 8th and 11th grade.
(all steps from this stage, which are performed until you don’t finish your 12th grade, are efficiently assisted by MLS)
- You are hand-held, guided, motivated & prepared for your higher studies in US.
- Your personality type, natural skills, aptitude and attitude are identified. The best career path for you is decided.
- You start exploring the Universities/Colleges/Institutes in the US, under the able guidance of MLS.
- You verify all Scholarships/financial aid options. You double-check everything with the Institute officials.
- You also consider the “Community College Study -> transferring to University” option (the “2+2” years combo)
- You choose the best option based on all factors that affect you, like finance, time, contacts in US, your health conditions.
- You identify the exact admission process for the specific University/College/Institute that you have selected.
- You start preparing the Admission Application Package. You take tests like SAT that the Institute requires, as well as English language proficiency tests like TOEFL.
- You pass the tests comfortably, thanks to the coaching & guidance that you have been receiving from MLS over the last couple of years.
- Your application package is submitted well in time, may be on the first practical date in the application acceptance window!
- Your application is accepted. The institute issues the I-20 and DS-2019 forms.
- You are offered the promised Scholarship/financial aid, which you are already aware of.
- Your Visa application is submitted well in time. It is accepted without any hindrance.
- You attend the interview by the US Embassy/Consulate officials in the nearest locality.
- Your Student Visa is approved, issued.
- MLS arranges for your travel to US, pick-up in US & accommodation in US.
- You keep consistent contact with the Institute in US for the pre-departure formalities. You give them all required information like your vaccination records. Shortcomings are addressed well in time.
- You travel to US as per the Visa regulations, and join the orientation program at the Institute.
Miracle Learning Solutions can (conditionally) continue to support you until you don’t feel comfortable in US.
Please reach us if you need more information. Please follow us on Social Media to track updates on international education.
5 Steps to Admission in the US for International Students
Scholarships and Financial aid
IIE Funding for US Study Online
International Education Financial Aid